LifeBridge Music


Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Less Is More

As I have gone through this week I have been pondering a great deal about my life, my leadership strengths and weaknesses, time with my family and making the most of each moment. How am I doing in giving to things that matter and not doing things that will NOT matter. It has been a real challeng.

A few years ago I came across a thought that has challenged me and caused me to think about my life. I have a teenager in my life and another soon to be. How can I influnece them and help them be all GOd desires. LESS IS MORE. Our church has chosen as well to make certain sacrifices in order to help families. Part of it was out of need, but part of it was intentional. Instead of planning activities and events all the time, we chose less is more. We want to encourage people to be in small group, hanging out together and doing life. Lately I have been asked to speak at a ton of evening events and I am honored, but it has been freeing to be able to say Sorry I can't. I need to be home with my wife and kids. After this season of my life, I may be able to do more, but right now I cannot.

As you think about risk in your faith, could you truly follow God if He asked you to do something, or are you too busy doing so much you would have to tell Him to wait while you closed everything out. Less is more, as I spend more time with my teenagers I'm able to help and be in their world. As I say no to more, I am able to say yes to the family times. I really challenge you to think about what you would do if God asked you to do something sacrificial today, could you do it financially, spiritually? Tough words to think on.

Philip Thurman

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good thoughts - struggling with those same things. Not so much family since kids are all gone -but seem to have my every waking moment filled with activity - am I spending my time doing the right things?... the things God would have me do? How do I know? What should I give up? How do I have the most impact? Don't have the answers yet - have to trust they will come - because it seems some days that I am just weary of the pace.