LifeBridge Music


Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Football or Futbol

I used to think American football was boring and for meat heads. Just a bunch of guys who liked to hit each other or try to take each other out. As I would watch the NFL it seemed the harder they hit, the more they thought they could hurt their opponent and thus the better they thought they were. I never could understand that mentality. But this year, my 13 year old son has started playing and man I'm having a blast. It is a great team sport as is the other futbol (soccer). Last week though I experienced something that made me really think about sports, team sports and the importance of having someone else to rely upon. Let me explain.

Last Tuesday night was cold and rainy and miserable. Nonetheless our Middle School team played Northwest Rankin's eighth grade team. Our coach decided we were going to spend the night running the ball until they could stop us because it was cool and wet and slippery. So we did. Man we won big time. We have a kid that is a great running back. By the third quarter we were up 21-7 and still rolling. This running back came to the sideline and was jawing back and forth with his dad. At one point the son pointed to the board and bragged, "Yea, I did all that...look at it!" The moment he said that the hair on the back of my neck stood up. I know for a fact that twice that my wide receiver son made critical blocks to free him to get into the end zone. Then I began to think about the linemen who were blocking and the other players who blocked for him. What an arrogant thing to say. Have none of those guys and that kid couldn't do jack!

As I thought about that, I thought about the local church. We can't do jack without people who care, who set up chairs and tables, teachers teaching the kids, greeters making connections, and everyone else. For a moment it made we realize what a special thing we have going at LifeBridge. Thanks to the whole team who makes it possible. I love and appreciate each one of you.

Philip Thurman

No comments: