LifeBridge Music


Monday, April 7, 2008

"Takin' Care of Business"

If you were not at church yesterday you missed the band's performance of "Takin' Care of Business." WOW! They had their black and white attire on with those cool looking shades. Man it was strong. We started a new series about the place we spend the bulk of our time. Stop and think. We spend a minimum of 40 hours a week, 2,000 hours a year and 90,000 hours over a lifetime. That is a long time, but even worse, it is a long time if you hate what your doing. I would also say that it is a waste of your life as well.

I often have people tell me that they feel like their job brings NO value to relationships, nor does it make any difference in the grand scheme of life. I hear people say things like, "I need to go into full-time ministry" to influence people. I don't quite know what that phrase means, but I think what is being said is, if I could work full time in the church I would be able to make a huge difference in my life as well as others.

See here's the deal. Regardless of what you do, God has placed right where He wants you. The people you have a chance of influencing as an athlete, attorney, doctor, grocery store clerk, teller, student, home maker etc. etc. is far greater than I will ever have as a Pastor. Here is why I say that with all honesty. My job is the greatest job with the WORST title. It does not matter how creative you get with titles, the response is still the same. Usually right off the bat the question comes to me, "well, what do you do for a living?" When I tell anyone what I do, guess what their response is......"Oh, great to meet you and best of luck!" Off they go. I may NOT ever discuss the Bible or preach to them, but they are gone. You on the other hand have a chance to build a relationship and as you do that, you can begin to influence and lead the discussions to spiritual matters. They will often times listen to you and continue the relationship. You are in a great place, right where God wants you to be. You have a greater chance to influence through what you do, than often times through being a paid professional MINISTER.

Ranting by Philip Thurman

No comments: